The Network for Natural Gums and Resins in Africa (AFRICA) is a regional network comprising member countries in sub Saharan Africa producing plant gums and resins. There are currently 14 countries from sub Saharan Africa namely: Burkina Faso, Chad, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Somali, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda. Membership is by application from countries in sub-Saharan Africa producing the commodities and organisations involved in the development of the resources and/or commodities.
The network has an Executive Board comprising; representatives from 4 focal points (West Africa, Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa), experts on production, marketing and quality control of gums and resins. Each member country is represented by a National Program Coordinator. The Secretariat is based at the Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI), Nairobi, Kenya.
The goal of the network is to assist African producing countries and partners formulate a coordinated strategy for the sustainable development of their natural gum and resin resources, for improving rural livelihood and environmental conservation.
The mission of NGARA is to position African producer countries and partners as major global players in the production, processing and marketing of gums and resins.
NGARA hopes to achieve its goal and mission through implementation of the following objectives:-
1. To generate information and develop databases on production, processing and marketing of gums and resins in order to enhance the participation of member countries in international trade.
2. To promote exchange of information on research findings, production, processing, quality control and marketing of natural gums and resins among producing countries and partners.
3. To facilitate access to technological development and training in all areas of gum/resin business.
4. To support relevant research in key areas of the sector.
5. To promote strong links among primary producers, processors and end users.
6. To establish appropriate systems for ongoing gum/resin resource assessment and control at national levels of member countries.